North Benfleet is obviously the northern part of the old parish of Benfleet.
Benfleet gets a very early mention in the Anglo Saxon Chronicle of 894, which tells us the Viking fleet was destroyed at Beamfleote by the English.
Beamfleote means 'a creek inlet within the woods close by' or 'creek with timbers'.
There may have been a wooden bridge across Benfleet Creek.
Before 1066 King Harold held the land but following the conquest it transferred to William.