LEE CHAPEL

1/1

The parish of Lee Chapel links the two parishes of Laindon and Langdon Hills together, although the greatest influence and control over the centuries has been from Laindon.

Lee is derived from the Anglo Saxon 'Leam' meaning 'woodland' clearing and at the time of the Domesday Book was claimed by the King.

Chapel was added at a later date, the chapel was somewhere in the area near the junction of The Knares and Stanway.

 

In 1254 the Patron of Leye Chapel was a Robert Lee.

 

The Crown Hotel was considered a lookout post if Napoleon lead the French to an invasion of England.