The name Dunton Wayletts is taken from the Anglo Saxon for Hill Town or settlement on or at a crossroad or path.
Today we only refer to the parish of Dunton but forty years ago the spot on the Arterial Road (A127) where the Ford Dunton flyover now is was known as Dunton Wayletts.
At the time of the Domesday Book Dunton was in the hands of Ode-Bishop of Bayeaux - 'Duntuna'.
Dunton in recent years has become well known for the Plotland development that took place in the Basildon are during the early 1890's.
Dunton was the last of these developments.