Unlike many of the other parishes in the Borough of Basildon, Billericay is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Book.
There is no doubt that a small village or hamlet existed in the area of modern day Billericay since before the Romans but at the time of Domesday it was engulfed by the parish of Burstead.
In fact it does not get its first mention until 1291 as 'Byllyrica' which appears to be either derived from the medieval Latin word 'Bellerica' meaning 'dye-house' or 'tan-house', or the Persian word 'Balilah', a tree fruit myrobalan used for dying, hence 'dye-house'.
Whatever word it is derived from it still comes back to the same meaning - dye-house. Does this mean that one of the main industries in the area was dying?